Aggressive and Successful Representation That Exceeds Our Clients' Expectations

What types of injuries are covered by workers’ compensation?

On Behalf of | May 4, 2023 | Workers' Compensation

Workers in Rhode Island who suffer on-the-job injuries or illness may be entitled to workers’ compensation. Workers’ compensation is awarded regardless of fault, as long as the injury or illness was caused in part or fully by your work.

Types of injuries covered by workers’ compensation

There are several types of workplace injuries and illnesses that may be covered by workers’ compensation. Some injuries and illnesses are caused by one specific incident, whereas others occur over the course of several weeks, months, or even years.

The following types of injuries and illnesses may be covered by worker’s compensation:

  • Aggravated: Work accident accelerated/aggravated a condition or injury that existed prior to the accident.
  • Repetitive trauma: Caused by repeated physical movements at work.
  • Cumulative: Caused by part by work-related activity and in part by non-work activity.
  • Recurring: Caused by a past work accident that reoccurs later, even though a new accident did not occur.
  • Exposure: Caused by repeated exposure to chemicals and/or other toxic substances in the workplace.

It is also important to note that the injury or illness does not necessarily need to occur at the workplace to be eligible for workers’ compensation. Injuries or illnesses that occur while within the scope of your employment, but occur off-site, will likely be covered by workers’ compensation.

What injuries are not covered by workers’ compensation?

While many workplace injuries are covered by workers’ compensation, there are some exceptions. Generally, workers’ compensation will likely not cover injuries or illnesses suffered while:

  • Engaging in illegal activities
  • Violating workplace policies
  • Fighting
  • Engaging in horseplay or executing practical jokes

Workers’ compensation covers medical expenses and lost wages sustained due to a work-related injury or illness. An attorney in your area can help you determine whether you are entitled to benefits and help you file your claim.